9.17.2009

Upheld

To say that this week has been tough would be quite the understatement. Combine my bronchitis, an explosion of produce to can, a houseful of influenza, and --toughest of all -- a miscarriage at 12 weeks and I have really been having a difficult time.

Tonight, as I was tidying up an unusually quiet house, alone because my husband is out of town, I found myself humming a song. This song has been an almost-inaudible soundtrack in the back of my mind for a few days now and in the silence of this evening I noticed, for the first time, the words. I realized then that I am not hearing this hymn from the beginning but, rather, it is the third verse that is playing in my head:

"I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand."

That has been my Father's message to me this week. And tonight I finally was still and listened. And I know the words are true.

2 comments:

heather said...

Why haven't I read this before! You have a magical way with words my friend. I am sorry about your rough week. I have been there before. Luckily I ended up with Marissa, but sometimes I think about what might have been. Just know that I am thinking of you.
Heather

Erin said...

That's my favorite hymn. All seven verses speak to me, and uplift.